Can I Have a DUI Expunged in Illinois?

In the state of Illinois, if you plead guilty to, are on supervision for or are convicted of DUI, you cannot have the DUI expunged or sealed. However, if you are able to get your charges dismissed or are found not guilty, then you can have your DUI arrest record sealed or expunged. A criminal record can have a serious impact on your future. It is in your best interests to retain experienced legal counsel in order to make an attempt at getting your DUI charges dropped and then working toward sealing and expunging your record.

If your charges are dropped or if you are found not guilty of DUI, this does not mean the DUI arrest will automatically be deleted from your record. If you want it completely cleared, you need to have your record sealed or expunged. If a criminal record is expunged, then it is completely destroyed or returned to you. If your record is sealed, then it is made unavailable to the public and you are generally not required to divulge its existence. However, you record may still be available to law enforcement officials or court personnel.

After a DUI arrest, it is imperative that you contact a qualified attorney to represent you. If you believe that pleading guilty and paying your fine will get the experience over with quickly, you are wrong. A DUI will linger on your record and can have a serious ramifications down the road. Employers can see a criminal record when doing background checks, and a DUI arrest, whether you were convicted or not, will not look good. In addition to the effect it can have on future employment, a criminal record can also interfere with establishing credit, getting a loan or applying for housing or school. Chicago DUI attorney Fred Dry has over 35 years experience working with DUI cases, and will aggressively defend your rights. If your charges are dismissed or dropped, you can then work together toward sealing or expunging your record so that your DUI arrest will no longer be visible during a background check.

There are several steps involved in having your criminal record sealed or expunged. You will need to first complete a petition and order to seal or expunge your record, as well as locate a notary public to witness your signing of the petition and then have it notarized. You will then be required to make several copies of the petition and order and file them with the appropriate parties. You may also need to attend a hearing in order to explain why you feel you are entitled to to have the arrest expunged. This hearing may be scheduled if one of the agencies you notified of your petitions files an objection. There may also be a waiting period involved. Fred Dry can explain the specifics of sealing or expunging a criminal record, assist you in filling out the proper paperwork and filing it with the appropriate agencies in order to help the process go as smoothly as possible.

If you are arrested for DUI, it is important to contact an attorney who will work to protect your rights. For more information regarding your rights following a DUI arrest, or about having your record expunged if you feel you qualify, contact experienced Chicago DUI attorney Fred Dry

Contact Information